Thursday, March 15, 2007

San Juan, La Union - January 29, 2007

From Vigan, we decided to visit a beach. We originally planned on going to Pagudpud, but I would like to save that for the summer. My travel buddy has been a surfer wannabe. He took me to San Juan, La Union. Surfers there claim that it's the surfing capital of Luzon, I couldn't agree more. :)

We got there around
5pm. The sun was still shining and the waves were huge! The beach was open for public, for free. We've seen professional surfers and they were loving the big waves, biggest I have ever seen. I love the water, but when I was ready to plunge in, I was warned that the water wasn't safe for swimmers or new surfers. In fact, somebody died a week ago. So there I was, looking at the surfers, wishing I could do what they were doing.

San Juan, La Union is heaven for surfers and surfer wannabes. We stayed at Pfipper Surf Resort. Their room rates start at P400 (fan room) and P1,200 (air-conditioned room). You can practically rent all surfing accessories there. Body boards, long and short boards, surfing suits, etc.

The 9th La Union Long board open will be held on Feb 2-4 at Urbiztondo, San Juan in San Fernando City. If you are planning to attend, you have to book your rooms as early as now.

Off topic: When I saw the beach, it reminded me of an old friend and a letter she sent me way, way back.. This was part of that precious letter:


"Life is like a beach and each of us is a surfer, we struggle hard just to keep ourselves high on top of great tides. But on the most unexpected blow of winds, it's the current that swallows us. Nevertheless, we keep on surfing, for in those adventurous times, we find happiness and self-satisfaction. On the other part of the beach, on the most pacified shore, we see some of us sitting there very prettily. So cautious that they won't even dare to step a single foot on the water. Yes, they are safe, but they are lonely and low-spirited. They won't take chances and they will never know how it feels to be happy."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think We are just want to be like that Exactly We want to be Like a Tsunami that creates a lot of Tide..............
chetana moktan

Ali said...

Hi there,

My name is Chris. I saw your profile on freelancer.com . I admire your success! I'd like to talk with you about your time on freelancer.com, if that's okay. It'll only take two minutes.

Thanks!

Chris (apwriting on freelancer.com)