Thursday, March 15, 2007

Mt. Pulag: Light Trek to Clouds. Dec 1-3, 2006


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEijbKOyKPNLAzIINa2lXLDPnqKNRHzHshT9Uz0Y-X6OO6evAA2UnPdjPBDZCvqwO1peV8NOmKxBxtrYP3tn5cSebq8ROQGhH-FCeucHmQZFr_iOmp_-t-dnkR1yx6mTEC98xenQKT-GdIY/s1600-h/pics11.jpg
On the last week of November, we got an invitation to join an organized climb to Mt. Pulag. Mountain climbing wasn't really something I wanted to add on my plate that time. I instantly felt that I was unfit for such activity. Where would I get the physical strength to climb the second highest mountain in the Philippines? I barely exercised and my muscles were simply not prepared for that. What changed my mind were the photos and stories about Mt. Pulag. It was simply described as the playground of the gods. Who wouldn't be tempted?


(Photo by kuya Pat)

This was the climb's itinerary:

Light Trek to Clouds

10th kaSABIT Climb - Mt. Pulag (Ambangeg-Ambangeg Trail)
Dec 1 to Dec 3, 2006

Suggested Itinerary

November 30, 2006 (Thursday)

2000 Assembly Victory Liner Bus Terminal Cubao Station
2100 ETD Manila to Baguio City

December 1, 2006 (Friday)

0200 ETA Baguio City
0300 ETD to DENR Station
0800 ETA DENR Station- Briefing / Breakfast
1000 ETD DENR to Ranger Station
1200 ETA Ranger Station/Lunch
1330 Start Trek
1530 ETA Camp 1 (water source)
1730 ETA Camp 2 Set Camp

December 2, 2006 (Saturday)

0245 Wake Up Call for Sunrise Viewing
0300 Assault Summit
0500 ETA Summit/Explore Vicinity
0730 Start Descend
0900 ETA Camp 2/ Breakfast / Break Camp
1000 Start Descend
1200 ETA Ranger Station
1400 ETD Ranger to DENR
1500 ETA DENR
1600 ETD DENR to Baguio City
1900 ETA Baguio City

For those who are not staying in Baguio and will be going back to Manila by Dec 2, inform us ahead of time.

Things to Bring:

Personal:
Rain Gear
Jacket
Headlamp (with extra batteries)
Mother bags
Note: Expect for extremely cold weather
Water source available at the campsite
All provisions should be bought before boarding the bus

Fee: PhP 2,300

Inclusive of: Round trip bus ticket - Manila - Baguio - Manila
2 way jeepney fare - Baguio - Ranger Station - Baguio
Guide Fee
Green Fee
Camping Fee
Entrance Fee
ID
Certificate
Souvenir Shirt




This was my first major climb. I didn't belong to any mountaineering club and didn't have a single idea what to expect. I just tagged along with my climb buddies and left everything tohttps://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEibyLY-B7c-rA6ICQIMs8_gvavFrUOLCqCGcHr_anIwA3a3NXMrnAzSoO3kcHaqaY7jl3HpnCMX1MbY0lUhhU-nKhoDFEkqpT9zvL5E72ewsOgvw_kZCfufrGvj8NRKucu1qwWQh-az-uY/s1600-h/951737142l.jpg them. I wore something I would normally wear when I go to work. Jeans, baby shirt, and rubber shoes. I didn't know that I had to wear quick dry pants (in anticipation of rain). I also figured that there was an unspoken rule about wearing something from North Face. I really felt underdressed when I got to the assembly place.


The first part of the itinerary was followed. We left Manila at 9pm (just before it was hit by typhoon Reming) and reached Baguio City a couple of minutes after 2am. We then headed our way to DENR station which was a 5-hour jeepney ride. We attended a 1-hour prerequisite seminar to get a climbing permit. Then we were off to the ranger station where we were supposed to wait till 12mn to start the scheduled assault.





https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj-qznWA6giomxuSBVdTufwlru6IvWf_5eWWr8ixfMffVKbYNbWsMmk3H7yhhyphenhyphenEFDMal85V54z_yviZx0F_L_yh7KSQwgRVWp_raUmdo9OGI6xnbrvKejt47gdriYdAxktBo_b5vk8v91s/s1600-h/3.jpgOn our way to the ranger station, rain starting pouring and strong winds made the journey uncomfortably cold and then an accident happened. One of our teammates fell off from the jeepney's roof. He suffered cuts and bruises, but thank God he was alright. He got few stitches in the head and I think he broke his arm. Don't worry, he was able to make it to the summit, way ahead of me.. LOL..
One of the 4 jeepneys had to go back to the ranger station to get immediate help for the patient. There were not enough jeepneys to take us to the ranger station, so we had to walk. It was more or less 4-hour walk. The rain and the low temperature certainly did not help. By the time we reached the ranger station, we were all very exhausted and soaking wet.




We stayed at the ranger station till 12mn. https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh-03jHJnZEzLcH_-zPCuL6FwUMDYAeYxWqPhOZlziZd4JfM_Hv1GlJXlGUdbcnRR5yvURIu5au-AUET_YGwjxVN3QRxZbMooHNN5iiR_EPve7BaOSWPihhc6mGJVDgHUUaSoQG74HYgdI/s1600-h/6.jpgThe organizers figured that it was safe to climb. The rain has stopped but not the strong winds. It was freezing cold. I was secretly wishing for some miracle to happen that would stop us from climbing, I just wanted to go back to sleep.. hahahaha

When we reached camp 1, I felt so crushed, defeated. I have never been so exhausted in my whole life. But I kept going. I didn't want to cause my teammates any trouble. When we reached Camp 2 and the grassland, I realized all the pain and tears (Yup! I cried) were all worth it. I then knew how the playground of the gods looked like.






https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg8zSiZZVINPm1fsTO_wVanHeCpFGZGP0xMWBpXCtuOvAbYY3OwWX14L_r49lTIX1HoVsdaNtgcgkhvMIFvd36DnAsuEO9_fa4FZ4c6cipMKRl6L_jc7q97ScOC_L1MLN76RNsC1T5q_Aw/s1600-h/CIMG0029.jpg

(Photo by Kuya Pat)


We reached the summit at about 7am. No more sunrise but still it offered the highest level of aesthetic pleasure. When they say that you'll feel closer to God when you are close to nature, they were not lying. It was a natural high. I can't get off my eyes from the sea of clouds. They were far more beautiful when they are closer. The view was simply breath taking.



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjlnqM0qmha29V5OSg9o6-saiFB6nbSJfFL6haR0H8izd98Swx3qLyB_fQh-g79Mu154X9uv9x_v7h-s9P2HXBp2hHpptKJ8b9dTJIINxL_crv7Md6iuId3JvVhmAk68LYC4GZVxJFzPZo/s1600-h/16.jpg

















https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjdghL5YLMK3eXGozszb2Op4W1dn8kdFa88L5mUWWgWpI7NUHbnus7hsZeFSWoev5XmRUXMvBuGmRzTG8r94mhPEpVKEQ8lDNFLkqGcCabREqylL8jhP6DWUTbGzo_uAiGCga7zYNyeyY0/s1600-h/final.jpg






No comments: